How to update group policy of client from server

Windows Server 2012 Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to push GPUpdate to Remote Computers.



In this blog I would like to demonstrate a great new enhancement that has been added to the Windows 2012 Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). You now have the ability to run remote GPUPDATE against all computers contained in an OU and its sub OUs. This gives you the ability to push updates quickly and ensure the policy has been processed by computers in the selected OU. Any machines running Windows Vista or above can receive the policy update using this method.

To start, log on to a Windows 2012 Server that is a member of your domain. If you don’t already have GPMC installed, open PowerShell as Administrator and type the following command:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

Install-WindowsFeature GPMC


Successful execution of the command will look as follows.


Since my test domain only consist of 2 domain controllers at this point and these are the only computer accounts on the domain, I will be demonstrating the next steps on the Domain Controllers OU.


Open GPMC and navigate to the OU containing the machines you would like to execute the remote gpupdate against. Right click the OU and select “Group Policy Update”.

You will receive a warning that all computers in the OU and it subcontainers will be updated as show below. Choose “Yes”.


You will receive a status report while it is running and when it is finished showing you the Success and Failures as shown below. You can choose to save it to a csv file for later review or just close the window.




At this point you are done!

I hope this helps. As always, if you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment. Thanks.

Share:

20 comments

  1. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I will definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

    I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm
    a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with
    a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed ..
    Any recommendations? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the
    head. The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking
    intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I found this during my hunt for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since the admin of this web site is working, no uncertainty very rapidly it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the admin of this web site is in fact working hard in support of his site, since here every stuff is quality based information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing in support of me to have a web page, which
    is useful for my knowledge. thanks admin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the perfect blog for anyone who really wants to
    find out about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you
    (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put
    a brand new spin on a topic which has been written about for years.
    Great stuff, just excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all I would like to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to
    ask if you don't mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I have had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
    I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
    minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out how
    to begin. Any ideas or hints? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Post writing is also a fun, if you know afterward you can write or else it is difficult to write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply want to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clearness to your publish is just nice and that i can assume you're knowledgeable on this subject.
    Well together with your permission allow me to take hold of your RSS feed to keep updated with approaching post.
    Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be able to inform that the artists had a whole lot of
    enjoyable designing the characters of CSR Racing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uau, incrível o blog ! Obrigado por nos proporcionar conteúdos tão completos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha
    plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours
    and I'm having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This paragraph provides clear idea for the new people of blogging, that truly
    how to do running a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and
    in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your
    blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment
    and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great items from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff prior to and you're simply extremely magnificent.
    I really like what you've got right here, really like what
    you are stating and the way in which wherein you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to
    keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a great web site.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i
    read this article i thought i could also create comment due
    to this sensible paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for any other informative blog. Where
    else may just I am getting that type of info written in such an ideal method?

    I have a mission that I am just now working
    on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments...... Thanks